Thursday, October 30, 2008

The New M.A.S.H.


When I was in grade school and couldn't sleep, I used to turn on the little TV in my room. It seemed like after 11:00pm the only show that was ever on was M.A.S.H. At the age of 10 or 12 that show was sort of funny, but it was a little over my head. But I knew that it wouldn't be scary so I would tune in. I came to despise it.
So with a newborn, there are a lot of late nights/ early mornings. If you noticed on our "what we are watching list" I usually watch music videos. So late at night, the only alternatives are Paid Programming or "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air". THIS, my friends, is the new M.A.S.H. This dumb show is on at all hours of the day. I will go so far as to say that at a certain time and place this show had its place? And seeing Will Smith in his acting debut is kinda cute. But that lasted for only one re-run.
I now can only dream of a re-run episode of M.A.S.H. REAL humor based on the issues of that day, smartly written... and with real actors! It incorporated a little history with entertainment, which I'm all about these days. I try in vain to find it on any late night line-up. But, to no avail.
Instead, I tune in to MTV and VH1. If a video comes on by Phil Collins, at least I now it won't be longer then 3 minutes...

3 comments:

  1. This is what DVR is for, you can record the shows you want and they are recorded whenever they are on and then you can watch them whenever you want - like late at night or early in the morning when noting else is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Eric and I used to watch M.A.S.H. ALL the time. I can see it being a rerun classic, but the Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Say what? This is the best the programming powers that be can do?!! With Milo, the only thing on at 3 in the morning would be E! (at least I think that's what it's called--another name could be All Paris/Nicole/Brittney/Lindsey all the time). I learned more than anyone ever needs to know about those four. Sometime in the wee hours they'd have reruns of The Simple Life--which is of course more Paris/Nicole. Contrary to what Paris may say, it was not hot. Glad you have your music vids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no cable in our house, thank you. for exactly these reasons. i'll take M.A.S.H. over anything! we have a Netflix account now, though. you can rent t.v. shows too. i also try to attend our ward's book club. it gives me a monthly goal. besides, in a few more months she won't be waking up so often in the night anyway (hopefully). LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete